Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D.
Ohio University, B.S., Communications
Chris counsels large and small employers, including medical providers, regarding issues related to employee relations, discrimination defense, and reimbursement and compliance disputes. Chris seeks outside the box solutions to contentious disputes between his employer clients and their current and former employees.
Chris further represents companies that employ between 30 and 3,000 employees. Whether it is resolving an employment dispute or a contract claim with a vendor, Chris provides aggressive but sensible advocacy. Chris also represents these same employers in defending and prosecuting trademark infringement claims in Ohio and Michigan Federal Courts.
Chris also counsels corporate and individual clients in the quickly evolving world of life sciences.
Chris serves as general counsel to both public and private health entities and also serves as general counsel to a research and development company pioneering revolutionary cancer drug treatment.
- Yogen Saunthararajah v. Santhosh Vadivelu, et al., Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, Case No. CV-18-898044 (represented the plaintiff-physician in a complex lawsuit involving claims of fraud, breach of contract, and injunctive relief over plaintiff’s ownership of the company in dispute and his control of incredibly valuable intellectual property rights in the biotechnology field, resulting in favorable settlement for client)
James F. O’Donnell vs. Northeast Ohio Neighborhood Health Services, Inc., Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas CV-17-881337 (successfully obtained a 7 figure jury award in a Plaintiff Age Discrimination case)
W. 6 Restaurant Group Ltd., et al., v. Bengtson et al. (Lead Head Counsel in Plaintiff’s defamation and slander case filed in Federal Court resulting in a substantial award to the Plaintiff)
- Successfully obtained a dismissal of an Americans with Disabilities Act lawsuit filed against Tanger Factory Outlet Center, Inc. in the U.S. District Court for the West District of Michigan. Saar v. Tanger Factory Outlet Centers, Inc., W.D. Mich. No. 1:17-cv-41, 2018 WL 387962 (Jan. 12, 2018)
- Mannion v. Lake Hospital System, Inc., et al., Lake County Court of Common Pleas No. 14CV001952 (Feb. 6, 2018) (after a five-day jury trial, obtained directed verdict on Plaintiff's claim for age discrimination as well as dismissal of plaintiff's amended complaint with prejudice as an inherent-authority sanction for plaintiff's counsel's conduct during trial)
- Lead counsel on $40M antitrust involving large insurer and numerous hospital systems
- Immormino, et al. v. Lake Hospital System, Inc., N.D. Ohio Case No. 1:13-cv-1818-CAB (successfully defended two Plaintiff Age Discrimination (State and Federal claims) in federal court. All state and federal age claims, including disparate treatment claims, dismissed with prejudice by federal court judge.)(August 2015)
- McClusky v. Lake Hospital System, Inc., No. 1:14-cv-00519-KSM, U.S. District Court, N.D. Ohio (successfully defended Lake Health System in a retaliation/gender discrimination claim. The three day jury trial was heard in the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern Division)(Attys’ Fees Sanctions Denied in Hospital Retaliation Row)
- Porter v. Lake Hospital System, Inc., Case No. 2013 CV 00067 (successfully defended Lake Hospital System to a jury concerning numerous allegations by a former clinician. HIPPA issues interacting with issues involving the former employee’s termination were the center of this jury trial)
- Ron Satija v. Permanent General Assurance Corporation of Ohio, et al., Case No. 1:13-cv-00082 (N.D. Ohio 2014) (retained as special counsel to bankruptcy trustee in copyright infringement lawsuit involving “the General” cartoon character resulting in a positive result for the client)
- Permanent General Assurance Corporation of Ohio v. David Mowder, Case No. 3:12-cv-5018 (N.D. Tex. 2013) (successful defense of client in declaratory judgment suit regarding parties’ intellectual property rights)
- Plastic Process Equipment, Inc. v. IMS Company, et al., Case No. 1:12-cv-338 (N.D. Ohio 2014) (resolved trademark infringement, unfair competition, and related claims resulting in favorable settlement for client)
- IMS Company v. Plastic Process Equipment, Inc., Cancellation No. 92/056,625 (TTAB 2014) (successfully obtained dismissal of cancellation proceeding challenging client’s federal trademark)
- OIG/DOJ investigation and defense of physicians involving Robinson Memorial Health System fraud and abuse complaint
Courts & Bar Associations
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Akron Law Library Association
- Trial Attorneys of America Association
Professional Honors & Awards
- Pathway to Independence (PTI), Board Member, Stow, Ohio
- Akron Young Professionals Association
- Ohio University Alumni Association
- Cleveland Judicial Forum Invitee
- Akron Bar Association Mentor Program – Active Member
- Italian American Professional Business Club Member
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Mentor Program (Health Law)
- OSBA Corporate Counsel Participant
Presentations & Publications
- Sexual Harassment Training presentation for multiple healthcare providers, including local FQHC's and regional health systems (November 2017 - February 2018)
- “FMLA Rule Change Takes Effect March 27th”, Akron Legal News March 2015 issue (A 031015 Complete)
- Presentation to PAHCOM Health members regarding important employment concerns for employers in health facilities (July 2010)
- Presentation to the Ohio Nursing Association on protecting your IP and reputation (2012)