Miller’s career began in-house with a publicly-traded, specialty chemical company, executing its litigation strategies. He continues to defend businesses of all sizes in state and federal trial and appellate courts.
With a wealth of litigation experience representing clients in courts throughout Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania and Texas, Miller has obtained victories for his clients in tort and contract litigation, shareholder disputes, restrictive covenant enforcement actions, and construction lawsuits.
Miller also serves as general counsel to emerging businesses and mid-market companies, advising them on comprehensive array of Employment Law issues, including non-competition agreements and other restrictive covenants, workplace training, employment contracts, Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), discrimination and harassment claims, and traditional labor matters.
- Successful defense of medical malpractice cases, including wrongful death and permanent impairment claims.
- Victorious in state court motion practice and jury trials on wide-variety of claims of product liability, warranty and workmanship issues, and alleged construction defects.
- Defense of employers in claims asserted by current and former employees alleging violations of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, ADA, FMLA, and FLSA, and obtained the largest Ohio award for frivolous conduct against plaintiffs and their counsel.
- Won federal jury verdict against EEOC in claims of age-based hostile work environment, age-based harassment, and unlawful termination.
- Prevailed on behalf of the State of Ohio, Department of Tax, and Tax Commissioner before trial and appellate courts in constitutional challenges to municipal net profit tax consolidation legislation.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- University of Akron, Leadership and Human Resources Management Board
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, member
- Association for Corporate Growth, member
- St. Ignatius High School Alumni Committee, member
Presentations & Publications
- Approaches to Legal Innovation, Nimble Forum, April 2019
- Preventing the Disease of Litigation: Applying Concepts of Preventative Medicine to Avoid Litigation Risks, National Society of Certified Healthcare Business Consultants, January 2019
- Employment Law Forum: State and Local Employment Law Updates, National Business Institute, December 2018
- Ohio Employment Law: Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Essentials, National Business Institute, November 2018
- Human Resources Law: What You Need to Know Now!, National Business Institute, October 2018
- Employee Discipline and Termination, Cleveland Employment Law Seminar, August 2018
- Sex, Scandals, and Solutions: HR Nightmares and Strategies with Social Media, Leading Eyecare Executive Forum, April 2018
- Wage and Benefit Issues: FLSA, Flex Plans, Leave Policies, and Record Keeping, National Business Institute, March 2018
- NLRB Reverses its Reversal of 2015 Browning-Ferris Joint Employer Decision, Labor + Employment Client Alert, February 2018
- Human Resources Due Diligence in Mergers and Acquisitions, National Business Institute, December 2017