Case Western Reserve University, J.D.
Carnegie Mellon University, B.A., with honors
Martin has nearly twenty years of experience with work site injury, property damage, and construction defect claims involving the interests of contractors, sub-contractors, architects, engineers, and owners. Clients enjoy working with Martin both proactively and in dispute resolution forums involving negotiation, mediation, arbitration and trial.
Martin is LEED-accredited and focuses on sustainability in design and construction contracts and projects.
- Successfully represented a global engineering services provider and successfully resolved a $4.8 million payment dispute involving environmental contamination at a former military facility.
- Successfully defended the general contractor in $10 million delay claim involving erection and installation of thirty (30) wind turbine generators, including evaluation of critical path methodology.
- Successfully defended the general contractor against a $6 million claim by a subcontractor for alleged delays and cost overruns arising from design and construction of a landfill.
- Represented a national real estate developer with respect to a $5.6 million claim involving liquidated damages, delays, and construction defects arising from a $50 million condominium project.
- Represented general contractor responsible for delivery, construction and erection of multiple wind turbines including defense of claims related to performance issues and liquidated damages.
- Lead counsel for design build contractor in $2 million claim involving design and construction of Membrane Bioreactor (MBR) wastewater treatment system, including claims for alleged delay, cost overruns, and environmental discharge permit violations.
- Represented property owner in $1 million claim involving design and defective construction of a nursing home addition.
- Victorious in state court motion practice and jury trials on a wide-variety of claims of property damage, bodily injury, and alleged construction defects.
Courts & Bar Associations
- Ohio Bar (2001)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio (2002)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio (2005)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (2013)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (2014)
- Member: American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
- Member: Ohio State Bar Association
- Member: Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Professional Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a Rising Star by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine (2010-2015)
- Accredited a LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Green Associate (2009)
Presentations & Publications
- "Communication is Key: Strategies for Avoiding and Resolving Delay Damage Claims", Construction + Real Estate Collaborative Conference (March 2019)
- "Construction Law: Advanced Issues and Answers", National Business Institute Seminar (December 2017)
- "AIA Contract Document Workshop", HalfMoon Education (September 2017)
- “What Every Contractor Needs to Know About Controlling Costs & Managing The Risks of Green Building Projects,” New Jersey Builders Association Virtual Green Build Event (2010)
- “Careers in Construction-Trends in Building: Green Building” WVIZ Career Exploration Series (2009)
- "How Green is Your Contract?: Liability Issues in LEED™ and Other Environmentally Sustainable Construction Projects", Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, Vol. 2, No. 3, October 2009
- "2007 Revisions to the AIA Contract Documents," Lorman (2008)
- "Critical Documentation for Proving Liability and Damages," Lorman (2008)
- "Alternative Dispute Resolution," Lorman (2008)
- "Surety Bonds and Insurance Coverage," Lorman (2008)
- "The Six Stages of Construction Litigation", Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs LLP Real Estate & Construction Seminar (2007)
- "Litigation of Liens", OSBA (2007)
- "Implementing Strategies to Minimize the Risk of Mechanics' Liens and 'Paying Twice'", OSBA (2007)