The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, LL.M
National Law Institute University, Bhopal (India), B.A. LL.B. (honors)
Shweta counsels businesses of all sizes through various stages of their lifecycles, including business setup, fundraising, expansion, exit, and windup processes, and also advises them on everyday general corporate law issues. She represents financial institutions as well as borrowers in commercial lending transactions. Shweta has also been on the both sides of acquisition deals and has represented acquirers as well as target companies from different industries, such as technology, manufacturing, food and self-storage industries.
Shweta’s diverse experience includes her legal practice in Mumbai, India, where she assisted clients with international investments, overseas expansion, and cross-border financing transactions. With her international experience and bilingual abilities, Shweta makes her legal services accessible to clients from diverse nationalities and backgrounds. She also contributes to the Columbus community by offering pro-bono legal counseling to local small businesses and startups, and serves on the LL.M. Advisory Council of The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, her alma mater.
- Represented lender in $35,190,989 construction loan for development of 227-unit apartment project located on a 4.38 acre area. Drafted the construction mortgage, environmental indemnity, guaranty of completion, access laws indemnity agreement, collateral assignment and subordination of property management agreement, assignment of leases, assignment of plans, certificate of architect, certificate of engineer, consent of architect, and consent of engineer.
- Represented lender in $2.5M term loan transaction advanced for construction of a club house. Drafted the loan agreement, promissory note, mortgage deed, guaranty of completion, and guaranty of payment.
- Assisted lender in loan modification of the loan in the principal amount of $3.8M. Reviewed the term sheet for loan modification, the loan documents pertaining to the original loan transaction and subsequent amendments thereto; reviewed the title search report; and drafted the loan modification agreement.
- Assisted lender in loan modifications of two loans extended to the same borrower in the principal amounts of $3.8M and $4.5M. Reviewed the terms of the loan modification; reviewed the original loan documents and subsequent amendments; and drafted the loan modification agreement.
- Represented lender in securities creation for a €65M cross-border commercial financing transaction between a German banking client and Indian borrower. Drafted collateral assignment, account pledge, IP assignment, and share pledge agreements to create securities over borrower’s assets; issued legal opinion on applicable forex regulations; and secured transaction approval from regulators.
- Represented lender in securities creation for a $50M cross-border commercial financing transaction between a Singapore based banking client and Indian borrower. Drafted collateral assignment, account pledge, IP assignment, and share pledge agreements to create securities over borrower’s assets located in India; assisted lender with navigating regulatory aspects of a foreign lender obtaining mortgage over a vessel registered in India; and issued legal opinion on the aspect of securities creation.
- Represented borrower in obtaining $13,750,000 construction loan for development of residential apartment complex. Drafted the legal opinion and the authorizing resolutions required by the lender; coordinated with the lender’s counsel regarding the borrower’s compliance with pre-closing conditions; negotiated post-closing covenants on behalf of the borrower; coordinated with the lender to resolve the issues under the title commitment; drafted ancillary closing documents; and assisted with successful closing of the loan transaction.
- Represented borrower in obtaining $19,393,916 construction loan for development of a senior living rental apartment complex. Drafted the legal opinion, authorizing resolutions and ancillary closing documents required by the lender; and coordinated with the lender’s counsel to provide requisite information and documentation for successful closing of the loan transaction.
Court & Bar Association
- The Supreme Court of Ohio
- New York State Bar
- Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa (India)
- Chair, Columbus Bar Association, International Law Committee (2017- present)
- Secretary and Board Member, The Asian Pacific American Bar Association (2017-present)
- Co-Ambassador, Columbus Chapter, Women’s Leadership Network, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (2018-present)
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Member, LL.M. Advisory Council, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law
- Speaker, Professional Development Panel, as part of The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, LL.M. brown bag lecture series (Mar 22, 2018 and February 9, 2017)
Speaker, International Law Society Practitioners Panel organized by The Ohio State University, International Law Society (Nov 8, 2016)