Sports Betting Legal in OhioClient Alert
Ohio has made sports betting legal with Governor DeWine signing House Bill 29 into law on December 22, 2021. The Casino Control Commission will regulate sports betting in Ohio and estimates that the launch date for sports betting will be January 1, 2023.
The new law allows for bars, restaurants, casinos, stadiums and sports teams to apply for sports gambling licenses. The Ohio Legislative Service Commission estimated that sports betting will yield more than $3.35 billion in revenue per year by the end of the decade. A 10 percent tax on net revenue will be put in place with approximately 98 percent of the tax proceeds going towards school funding and the remaining 2 percent problem gambling assistance.
There are three different types of sports gaming licenses: Types A, B and C. Type A licenses are for online sports betting. Type A license holders must also hold a Type B license or have a place of operation in Ohio. Type B licenses are brick and mortar sportsbooks. Type C licenses are for sports gaming lottery self-service or clerk staffed terminals.
Applications will be drafted alongside the rulemaking process which will be commencing shortly. The Casino Control Commission estimates that the application process will take place in Summer/Fall of 2022.
Please contact Victoria L. Ferrise (VLFerrise@bmdllc.com, (330) 374-5184) for additional information and assistance.