University of Akron School of Law, J.D.
Kent State University, B.B.A., magna cum laude
Steve began his legal career in the general practice of law and also served for five years as Assistant Law Director and Prosecutor for the City of Kent, Ohio. In 1985 he joined Robinson Memorial Hospital in Ravenna, Ohio as General Counsel. He was named President and CEO of the hospital in 1994 and continued to serve in that role until 2016.
Steve recommended and led the hospital’s conversion from county ownership to not-for-profit status evidencing his strength in strategic planning and ability to manage complex healthcare legal transactions. He also lead the hospital’s Partnership Initiative resulting in the hospital’s merger with one of the leading healthcare systems in Northeast Ohio.
Steve has significant experience in negotiating and drafting joint venture agreements, member substitution agreements, physician agreements, lease agreements, construction contacts, employment contracts and other healthcare related agreements. He also has a proven track record of success in effectively working with boards of directors and medical staffs
Over the years Steve has also played a key role in the establishment of a number of community based not-for-profit organizations including serving as a founding board member of Leadership Portage County and the Portage Development Board.
Steve’s broad background allows him to leverage his legal training with his management experience to provide practical and creative solutions for clients.
Steve is married with three children and resides in Kent, Ohio. He is a die-hard and long suffering fan of the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Indians and Cleveland Cavaliers.
Courts & Bar Associations
- Ohio Bar
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Portage County Bar Association, Member
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Hattie Larlham, Member, Board of Directors (2019-present)
- Hattie Larlham Foundation, Member, Board of Directors (2019-present)
- Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives
- Member, Kent State University Board of Trustees (2008-2017)
- Member, Board of Managers, Western Reserve Hospital (2016-2017)
- Member, Board of Directors, Portage Development Board (2010 - present)
- Member, Board of Directors, Direction Home (1996-present)
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Akron Regional Hospital Association (1994-2016)
- Past Co-Chair, Quality Council, Northeast Ohio Quality Collaborative (2007-2013)
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Team NEO (2012-2015)
- Past Member, Board of Trustees, Ohio Hospital Association (1999-2001)
- Member, Ravenna Planning Commission (1988-2004)
Awards & Recognitions
- Grand Marshall, 2000 Ravenna Balloon-A-Fair Parade
- Leadership Portage County, Burbick Leader of Distinction Founder's Award 2010
- Portage Medical Center Foundation Distinguished Service Award 2016
- Portage Development Board Founder's Award 2016