Krista D. Warren
Krista is a Partner in BMD's Columbus office and has served as an advocate and advisor for clients in commercial, business, construction, and litigation matters. Krista has handled litigation matters in state and federal courts and before arbitration panels as first and second chair. She also counsels clients through the negotiation of disputes, including mediations.
In addition, Krista is a trained Title IX investigator, advisor, and decision maker, and has worked with higher education institutions throughout Ohio.
Contact Information250 Civic Center Drive, Suite 300, Columbus, Ohio 43215
The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Juris Doctor
Miami University, B.A., International Studies and Geography, cum laude
In working closely with clients to understand what actions will best fit their needs, Krista assists by way of developing efficient processes for clients to reduce risk and ensure that disputes are resolved in the most effective manner.
Before joining BMD, Krista was a legal intern for the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission (OFCC) and gained experience working with parties including school districts, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, sureties, and insurers in various dispute resolution processes (including Article 8).
Prior to attending law school, Krista worked as a Specialty Architecture Site Surveyor for FRCH Design Worldwide (now Nelson Worldwide) to inform the nationwide rollout and implementation of the FedEx® Pack Plus service.
In her free time, Krista enjoys backpacking and hiking in the US National Parks and hopes to visit them all someday. She is also an avid fan of all things Cincinnati (including sports and Skyline Chili).
- Lead counsel in hundreds of successful commercial breach of contract cases before the American Arbitration Associated (AAA) for large publicly held client in 28 states across the country
- Successfully negotiated settlement on behalf of large publicly held client against municipality relating to enforcement of a prematurely terminated extended term contract
- Second chair in successful defense of transportation logistics company employee against former competitor employer seeking injunctive relief relating to enforcement of two-year nationwide non-competition and non-solicitation agreement
- Second chair in successful defense of franchisee against breach of contract and defamation claims brought by franchisor in weeklong American Arbitration Association (AAA) hearing
- Second chair representing publicly held retail client (owner) in federal multimillion dollar construction defect case
- Counsel on successful appeal to 6th Circuit regarding waiver and compelling of arbitration in Borror Property Management, LLC v. Oro Karric North, LLC et al., 979 F.3d 491 (6th Cir. 2020).
- Successfully negotiated settlements for multiple homeowners relating to claims of construction defects
- Regularly asserts and defends bond and mechanics’ lien claims on behalf of various contractor and subcontractor clients
- Regularly reviews construction contracts on behalf of contractors and subcontractors to mitigate potential risks, counsel on dispute resolution processes, and ensure compliance
Title IX Investigator
- Krista is a Title IX Investigator on new Title IX regulations from June 2020 through present. Krista has worked with various colleges and universities across the State of Ohio in both a one investigator and two investigator (internal and external) model to conduct investigations fairly and efficiently.
Court & Bar Associations
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- 2020 Barrister Leadership Program, Member
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Professional Honors & Awards
- Moritz College of Law, Moot Court Coach
- ABA National Moot Court Competition 2018, Quarterfinalist
- National Moot Court Competition in Child Welfare & Adoption Law 2017, Semifinalist
- 2018 Nancy H. Rogers Prize in Dispute Resolution, The Future of the Sharing Economy and Arbitration
- CALI Award for Excellence, Pretrial Litigation
- CALI Award for Excellence, Immigration Law
- Ohio State Law Journal, Articles Editor
- Moot Court Governing Board (2017-2018)