Blake R. Gerney
With over 25 years of legal experience, Blake's practice focuses on commercial real estate, land use, construction law and business and corporate law, including development, zoning, construction documents, mechanics' lien law, commercial leasing, purchase and sale transactions, finance and loan documentation. He also advises small and medium-sized businesses on a multitude of issues, such as mergers and acquisitions, business formations, regulatory compliance, employment and non-competition issues, corporate and limited liability company governance, asset protection and litigation.
Contact Information75 East Market Street, Akron, Ohio 44308
The University of Akron School of Law, J.D.
Texas A&M University, B.S.
Blake is one of only 15 Ohio State Bar Association Certified Specialists in Business, Commercial and Industrial Real Property Law, and the only Certified Specialist in Ohio in Summit, Stark, Medina and Portage counties.
He is a frequent speaker and lecturer for a variety of real estate professional groups in Northeast Ohio, including real estate agents, brokers and title agents on topics such as title issues, landlord-tenant issues, agency matters, commercial and residential purchase and sale transactions, mechanics' lien law, zoning and development issues.
Blake is licensed to practice law in both Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Professional Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law (2024)
- Ohio Bar Association, Certified Specialist in Business, Commercial and Industrial Real Property Law
- Member, Leadership Akron, Class 23
Courts & Bar Associations
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- The Akron Bar Association, Member
- Former Member of Board of Directors
- Finance Committee Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Former Member of Real Property Specialization Board
- Akron Bar Foundation, Board Member
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Weaver Industries, Inc., Board of Directors
- Akron Rotary, Member
- The University of Akron School of Law Advancement Council, Member
- The University of Akron School of Law Alumni Association, Board Member, Former President
- Junior Achievement of Northeast Ohio, Former Member of Board of Directors
- United Way of Medina County, Former Board of Directors
- Wadsworth Chamber, Former Member of Board of Directors, Former President
- Leadership Akron, Former Ambassador
- Akron Encounter Subcommittee, Former Member
- Association of General Contractors, Akron Division, Member
- Sharon Township, Ohio Zoning Commission, Member
Presentations & Publications
- Real Estate Brokers and the Unauthorized Practice of Law, Continuing Legal Education Course sanctioned by the Ohio Board of Realtors, Akron, Ohio
- Oil & Gas Law Review for the Real Estate Professional, Lake County Board of Realtors, Mentor, Ohio
- CORE Law: Zoning and Land Use Law for the Commercial Realtor, Akron Area Board of Realtors, Akron, Ohio
- Trust, Deeds and Title Issues, Cleveland, Ohio