Hayley E. Kick
Hayley is an attorney in BMD's Columbus office and draws upon her experience working behind the scenes in state and federal court to help her clients navigate matters involving litigation and dispute resolution.
Hayley has worked as a judicial law clerk, and she has represented clients from both the public and private sectors in private practice. Utilizing these experiences, Hayley develops practical and effective strategies for dispute resolution inside and outside the courtroom.
Contact Information250 Civic Center Drive, Suite 300, Columbus, Ohio 43215
The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
The Ohio State University, B.A., Public Management, Leadership & Policy, summa cum laude
The Ohio State University, B.A., International Studies, Honors Research Distinction in International Studies, summa cum laude
Drawing upon her experiences inside and outside the courtroom, Hayley works closely with her clients to understand their needs and to develop practical strategies to resolve disputes in the most effective manner that meets those needs.
Before entering private practice, Hayley was a judicial law clerk for the Honorable David M. Gormley in the Delaware County Court of Common Pleas. Hayley helped draft dozens of judicial decisions on civil litigation matters impacting both individuals and businesses. She also gained first-hand experience assisting Judge Gormley behind the scenes to conduct trials and hearings.
Hayley previously served as a judicial extern for the Honorable George C. Smith in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. There, she gained valuable insight into the mechanics of researching and drafting judicial decisions at the federal level.
On the private practice side, Hayley previously worked as an associate at a Columbus-based law firm. In that role, she represented clients that operate in both the private and public sectors in state and federal lawsuits involving contract, employment, and zoning disputes.
In her free time, Hayley enjoys traveling, cooking, and trying out new restaurants. She also loves taking spin classes and running (even after finishing five half marathons).
Courts & Bar Associations
- Ohio State Bar Association
- 2022 OSBA Leadership Academy Class
- Columbus Bar Association
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Professional Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" (2024)
- Moritz College of Law, Moot Court Coach
- NYC Bar Association National Moot Court Competition 2020, Top 16 Team & Regional Runner-Up Best Oralist
- National Moot Court Competition in Child Welfare & Adoption Law 2019, Semifinalist
- Herman Moot Court Competition 2018, Runner-Up Best Oralist
- Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, Chief Managing Editor
- Award for Significant and Lasting Contributions to the Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barristers
- CALI Award for Excellence, Contracts II
- CALI Award for Excellence, Legal Negotiation
- Public Interest Law Foundation, Vice-President of Auction Fundraising (2018-2019)
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law Clerkship Alumni Advisory Committee, Member
Presentations & Publications
- "The Imposter in the Room: A First-Generation Lawyer's Tips To Remember You Are Enough," Ohio State Bar Association, Young Lawyers, 2023
- "A Young Litigator's Tips From Both Sides of the Bench," Ohio State Bar Association, Young Lawyers, 2022
- 2022 Ohio State Bar Association Leadership Academy Class, Family & Employment Law Workshop, Presenter
- 2019 Housing Ohio Conference, The Violence Against Women Act, Presenter