The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D.
Oxford University, St. Anne's College: International Tax and Treaties
Miami University, B.S., Finance
John E. Dolibois European Center, International Finance and Management
Matt enjoys helping clients develop and execute their strategy. Many clients have named Matt as their General Counsel and ask him to oversee all of their legal affairs. Clients are drawn to Matt’s innate drive and enjoyment around helping them become market leaders. Clients become lifelong partners with Matt due to his business sense, and his instincts and insight around market trends and changes in the law.
Health care is our country's most regulated industry. Matt has a 25-year health care practice where he routinely counsels health systems, life sciences firms, and physicians in joint ventures and other partnering models, M&A activity, real estate ventures, reimbursement opportunities, regulatory compliance (STARK, AKS, tax-exempt rules), contract negotiation, labor/employment matters, and governance best practices.
Clients trust Matt to manage “bet the company” complex litigation. In this capacity, he oversees the litigation team on behalf of the client’s board and chief executive. Recent examples include successful prosecution of unfair business practice claims against a client's foremost competitor, as well as removal of a chief executive who attempted to steal a founder’s intellectual property and controlling stake in his company.
- Represented developer and project leaders and helped create a four party joint venture for acquisition of real estate and construction of a full-service hospital and professional building
- Successfully responded to a Department of Justice investigation of a client who was served with a Qui tam lawsuit alleging fraud and massive billing irregularities. Matt responded to numerous DOJ demands and successfully convinced the DOJ that his client did not commit fraud. The DOJ closed its investigation and the Qui tam suit was dismissed
- Successfully litigated a multi-year business divorce between two corporate partners that resulted in Matt’s client retaining control
- Negotiated resolution of a year-long shareholder dispute that resulted in the client’s successful buy-out and creation of a charitable trust
- Successfully litigated and negotiated settlement on behalf of the founder of a life sciences company against a fraudster executive who attempted to steal the company’s assets and ownership with a value in excess of $400 million
- Negotiated a favorable Research and Collaboration Agreement against a large pharmaceutical company for the development of a life-saving blood disease drug
- Represented developer and project leaders in raising $20M of equity and securing $75M of debt for acquisition of community hospital (real property and operations) and renovations
Courts & Bar Associations
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Colorado State Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Member, Board of Directors, Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park, 2015-present
- Member, Board of Directors, Carson Higgins Foundation, 2017 - present
- Member, The 1888 Society of The Ohio State University, 2010 - present
- Member, Board of Directors, SCHS Insurance, Ltd., 2010 - present
- Member, Parish Council, St. Sebastian Parish, 2008 - 2011
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital, 2002 - 2007
- Member, Board of Directors, Summa Health System, 2002 - 2007
- Co-Editor, Baldwin's (West Group) Ohio Practice, Business Organizations Laws & Rules
- Member, Board of Directors, Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital Foundation, 2000 - 2007
- Member, Board of Directors, Middlebury Assurance Company, 2004 - 2007
- Ohio Rising Star 2009, Health Care Law
- Member, Board of Directors: ArtsInStark, a Stark County-based arts and education charity, 2010 – 2013
- Akron Bar Association Judicial Commission 2013 – 2015