The Ohio State University College of Law, J.D.
Miami University, B.S., Finance
St. Anne's College, Oxford University
More specifically, Matt has a 25-year healthcare practice where he routinely counsels hospitals, health systems, life science companies, physicians, surgery centers and ancillary providers in all aspects of merger and acquisition activity, real estate development, reimbursement matters, regulatory compliance (STARK, AKS, tax-exempt rules), contract negotiation, labor/employment, and governance best practices.
Matt has a passion for serving as outside General Counsel for select clients. Matt is active in their strategic planning and execution, as well as coordinating these clients' legal affairs.
Matt also frequently advises his clients’ boards of directors on transaction structures, governance best practices, and strategy.
Clients trust Matt to manage “bet the company” complex litigation. In this capacity, he oversees the litigation team on behalf of the client’s board and chief executive. Recent examples include successful prosecution of unfair business practice claims, as well as removal of a chief executive who attempted to steal a founder’s intellectual property and controlling stake in his company.
- Represented developer and project leaders and helped create a four party joint venture for acquisition of real estate and construction of a full-service hospital and professional building
- Successfully responded to a Department of Justice investigation of a client who was served with a Qui tam lawsuit alleging fraud and massive billing irregularities. Matt responded to numerous DOJ demands and successfully convinced the DOJ that his client did not commit fraud. The DOJ closed its investigation and the Qui tam suit was dismissed
- Successfully litigated a multi-year business divorce between two corporate partners that resulted in Matt’s client retaining control
- Negotiated resolution of a year-long shareholder dispute that resulted in the client’s successful buy-out and creation of a charitable trust
- Successfully litigated and negotiated settlement on behalf of the founder of a life sciences company against a fraudster executive who attempted to steal the company’s assets and ownership with a value in excess of $400 million
- Negotiated a favorable Research and Collaboration Agreement against a large pharmaceutical company for the development of a life-saving blood disease drug
- Represented developer and project leaders in raising $20M of equity and securing $75M of debt for acquisition of community hospital (real property and operations) and renovations
Courts & Bar Associations
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Colorado State Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Member, Board of Directors, Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park, 2015-present
- Member, Board of Directors, Carson Higgins Foundation, 2017 - present
- Member, The 1888 Society of The Ohio State University, 2010 - present
- Member, Board of Directors, SCHS Insurance, Ltd., 2010 - present
- Member, Parish Council, St. Sebastian Parish, 2008 - 2011
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital, 2002 - 2007
- Member, Board of Directors, Summa Health System, 2002 - 2007
- Co-Editor, Baldwin's (West Group) Ohio Practice, Business Organizations Laws & Rules
- Member, Board of Directors, Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital Foundation, 2000 - 2007
- Member, Board of Directors, Middlebury Assurance Company, 2004 - 2007
- Ohio Rising Star 2009, Health Care Law
- Member, Board of Directors: ArtsInStark, a Stark County-based arts and education charity, 2010 – 2013
- Akron Bar Association Judicial Commission 2013 – 2015