Matthew A. Heinle
Matt's clients describe him as a problem solver, a strategic thinker, possessing the ability to simplify the complex and as sharing their sense of urgency. Matt serves as BMD's president, is a founding Member of the firm, and is responsible for its strategy and overall management. He is licensed to practice law in Ohio and Colorado.
With clients ranging from charities to for-profits; start-up technology firms; manufacturers; life sciences ventures; and health care institutions and providers (from large health systems to physician practices), agencies and municipalities, Matt’s practice focuses on all aspects of corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, health care law, charitable law, regulatory compliance, public law and complex litigation. Matt is a trusted adviser to entrepreneurs, senior executives, and boards of directors.
Contact Information75 East Market Street, Akron, Ohio 44308
The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D.
Oxford University, St. Anne's College: International Tax and Treaties
Miami University, B.S., Finance
John E. Dolibois European Center, International Finance and Management
Matt enjoys helping clients develop and execute their strategies. Many clients have named Matt as their General Counsel and ask him to oversee all of their legal affairs. Clients are drawn to Matt’s innate drive and enjoyment around helping them become market leaders. Clients become lifelong partners with Matt due to his business sense, and his instincts and insight around market trends and changes in the law.
Matt shares his insights on the benefits of serving as in-house counsel for clients.
Health care is our country's most regulated industry. Matt has a 25-year health care practice where he routinely counsels health systems, life sciences firms, and physicians in joint ventures and other partnering models, M&A activity, real estate ventures, reimbursement opportunities, regulatory compliance (STARK, AKS, tax-exempt rules), contract negotiation, labor/employment matters, and governance best practices. Matt was interviewed by Bloomberg News about the financial state of America's hospitals amidst the coronavirus pandemic. Click here to view.
Clients trust Matt to manage “bet the company” complex litigation. In this capacity, he oversees the litigation team on behalf of the client’s board and chief executive. Recent examples include the successful prosecution of unfair business practice claims against a client's foremost competitor, as well as the removal of a chief executive who attempted to steal a founder’s intellectual property and controlling stake in his company.
- Represented an accounting firm in connection with its acquisition of an Illinois based in accounting firm, that will assist and help leverage its growth within the Illinois and Chicago market.
- Represented Olympic Steel in connection with its acquisition of a manufacturer of products constructed largely of coated carbon and stainless steel, headquartered in Kansas.
- Represented an accounting firm in connection with its acquisition of a North Carolina based in accounting firm, that will assist and help leverage its growth within the North Carolina market.
- Advised Eating Recovery Center and Pathlight Mood & Anxiety Center in transaction to partner with two healthcare investment firms
- Represented Olympic Steel in connection with its acquisition of a stainless steel distribution and fabrication business headquartered in Georgia
- Represented Olympic Steel in connection with the sale of substantially all of the company’s Detroit assets and operations
- Represented steel manufacturer in acquisition of specialty metals segment, resulting in geographic expansion in four states (See recent announcement here)
- Represented developer and project leaders and helped create a four party joint venture for the acquisition of real estate and construction of a full-service hospital and professional building
- Successfully responded to a Department of Justice investigation of a client who was served with a Qui tam lawsuit alleging fraud and massive billing irregularities. Matt responded to numerous DOJ demands and successfully convinced the DOJ that his client did not commit fraud. The DOJ closed its investigation and the Qui tam suit was dismissed
- Successfully litigated a multi-year business divorce between two corporate partners that resulted in Matt’s client retaining control
- Negotiated resolution of a year-long shareholder dispute that resulted in the client’s successful buy-out and creation of a charitable trust
- Successfully litigated and negotiated settlement on behalf of the founder of a life sciences company against a fraudster executive who attempted to steal the company’s assets and ownership with a value in excess of $400 million
- Negotiated a favorable Research and Collaboration Agreement against a large pharmaceutical company for the development of a life-saving blood disease drug
- Represented developer and project leaders in raising $20M of equity and securing $75M of debt for the acquisition of community hospital (real property and operations) and renovations
Courts & Bar Associations
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Colorado State Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Board of Directors of Greater Collier Insurance, Ltd. (effective 2022)
- The 50 Club of Cleveland, Member (2020-Present)
- Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Member, Board of Directors (2015-Present)
- Carson Higgins Foundation, Member, Board of Directors (2017-2021)
- The 1888 Society of The Ohio State University, Member (2010-Present)
- SCHS Insurance, Ltd., Member, Board of Directors (2010-2021)
- Parish Council, St. Sebastian Parish, Member (2008-2011)
- Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital, Chairman, Board of Directors (2002-2007)
- Summa Health System, Member, Board of Directors (2002-2007)
- Baldwin's (West Group) Ohio Practice, Business Organizations Laws & Rules, Co-Editor
- Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital Foundation, Member, Board of Directors (2000-2007)
- Middlebury Assurance Company, Member, Board of Directors (2004-2007)
- Ohio Rising Star 2009, Health Care Law
- ArtsInStark, a Stark County-based arts and education charity, Member, Board of Directors (2010–2013)
- Akron Bar Association Judicial Commission (2013–2015)
Professional Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law (2024)
- Crain's Cleveland 2022 Notables In Law