Robert A. Hager
Bob leads BMD's exceptional team of commercial litigation attorneys. Every year since 2004, Bob has been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America® and an Ohio Super Lawyer™. Bob has over 30 years of legal experience in resolving complex commercial disputes as a trusted advocate for our clients.
Within the construction industry, Bob is known for his successful track record in representing owners, developers, contractors and design professionals. He is also an approved member of the American Arbitration Association panel of professional mediators and arbitrators.
In his spare time, Bob enjoys family, community service and the great outdoors.
Contact Information200 Public Square, Suite 1850, Cleveland, Ohio 44114
Cleveland State University College of Law, J.D., cum laude
John Carroll University, B.A.
Track Record of Success
Over the course of Bob's successful career as a commercial litigator, his experience and commitment to excellence have provided our clients with outstanding client service and winning results, such as:
- Lead counsel in multiple class actions, including defense of $1.2 billion class-action claim in Ohio state court.
- Lead counsel in $22 million claim involving litigation of design and construction of interceptor sanitary sewer system.
- Successful representation at two-week AAA arbitration of design-build contractor in defense of $6 million claim by a subcontractor for alleged delays and cost overruns arising from the design and construction of a municipal landfill in Florida.
- Lead counsel in a $5.6 million claim involving the construction of a condominium project in Florida.
- Representation of a global engineering services company by successfully resolving a multi-million dollar payment dispute involving environmental contamination at a former U.S. military facility.
- Qualified to testify as an expert witness in various construction and commercial litigation matters
- Cuyahoga County court-appointed mediator available for private mediation proceedings
- AAA-Trained Mediator and Arbitrator
Courts & Bar Associations
- Ohio Bar (1988)
- U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit; US District Court, Northern District of Ohio, and all Ohio State Courts
- Appeared in federal and state courts located in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, New York, Illinois, Florida, Utah and California
- American Bar Association (Forum on the Construction Industry; Litigation Section; and Construction Litigation Committee)
- Ohio State Bar Association (Past Chair, Construction Law Committee)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and Akron Bar Association
Professional Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Construction Law (2022-2024)
- Commercial Litigation (2024)
- Corporate Law (2024)
- Real Estate Law (2024)
- Crain's Cleveland 2022 Notables In Law
- Peer Review Rated as AV® Preeminent™, the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards, in Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system (2023)
- Ignatian Spirituality Award Recipient (May 2018 presented by Jesuit Retreat House in Parma, Ohio)
- 2017 Alumni Medal Award, John Carroll University
- Recognized as one of Ohio's Super Lawyers™ in 2004-2023, as voted by his peers
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for 18 years (2004 through 2023)
Civic & Charitable Board Service
- Jesuit Retreat Center, Chairman and Member, Board of Directors
- John Carroll University, Board of Directors
- Walsh Jesuit High School, Chair and Member, Board of Trustees
- Northeast Ohio Chapter of COGENCE Alliance, Vice President
- John Carroll University, Master Member, Entrepreneurs Association
- Lawyers Guild of Catholic Diocese of Cleveland, Member and President
- Ohio Contractors Association, Member
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Fellow
- The Construction Lawyers Society of America is an invitation-only construction lawyer honorary society with membership limited to 1,200 practicing Fellows from the United States and internationally.
Presentations & Publications
- "Effective Construction Litigation Strategies and Summary Judgment Practice", Construction Lawyers Society of America 2022 North American Construction Law Symposium IV, Harvard Club, New York, NY (December 1, 2022)
- "eDiscovery Strategies for Construction Disputes," Construction Lawyers Society of America 2022 West Coast Construction Law Symposium, Los Angeles, CA (May 20, 2022)
- Northeast Ohio Construction Executive Discussion Group, hosted by Sikich, "Potential Impacts and Delays Due to COVID-19", Webinar (June 11, 2020)
- "Risky Business: Know It, See It, Manage It", Ohio Contractor's Association Annual Conference, Maui, Hawaii (January/February 2020)
- "Succession Planning for the Legacy-Driven Business", Ohio Contractor's Association Annual Conference, Maui, Hawaii (January/February 2020)
- "Innovation and Collaborative Trends in the Construction Industry", BMD's Healthcare Leadership Innovation Summit (January 2018)
- "Construction Law: Advanced Issues and Answers", National Business Institute Seminar (December 2017)
- "Lawyer Mentoring and the Spiritual Exercises: Directing with Patience and Care," World Union of Jesuit Alumni (June 29, 2017)
- "Best Practices For Construction Dispute Resolution" (May 16, 2017)
- "Mechanics' Lien Essentials," Webcast for Ohio State Bar Association (April 17, 2014)
- "Fundamentals of Construction Contracts: Ohio's Public Contracting Statutes," Lorman Seminar (January 25, 2013)
- “So You’re Being Sued – Know What to Do to Prepare for a Lawsuit,” Hardwood Floors Magazine (October/November 2007)
- “The Six Stages of Construction Litigation,” Inside the Minds: Construction Law Litigation Strategies, Aspatore Books (2007)
- “Legal Perspectives – Contingent Payment Clauses: If and When – What’s the Difference?” Properties Magazine, Inc. (November 2004)
- “Ohio’s Mechanics’ Lien and Prompt Payment Act: Using the Laws to Your Advantage”
- “Understanding Legal Aspects of Construction Contracts”
- “Construction Payment Remedies in Ohio”