Amanda L. Waesch
Amanda Waesch serves as BMD's Marketing and Business Development Chair. She operates a national healthcare practice, focusing primarily on healthcare, employment law, corporate law, and healthcare litigation. Ms. Waesch advises all types of employers, in particular healthcare providers, including, hospitals and physicians, on various matters.
She also chairs the firm's litigation team that is primarily responsible for handling all reimbursement audits and appeals for her firm’s healthcare clients and heads up BMD's Provider Relations, Audit, Appeals and Negotiations Unit (PRAAN) which handles all-payer audits, appeals, overpayments and payment extrapolations.
Ms. Waesch has been practicing law since 2008 and is licensed in Florida, Ohio and Tennessee.
Contact Information75 East Market Street, Akron, Ohio 44308
8891 Brighton Lane, Suite 112, Bonita Springs, Florida 34135
255 South Orange Avenue, Suite 700, Orlando, Florida 32801
The University of Akron School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
Mount Union College, B.A., Accounting and Political Science, summa cum laude
University of Reading
Ms. Waesch's work focuses on many different areas such as drafting, reviewing and litigating employment agreements; non-compete agreements and severance agreements; drafting and reviewing employer handbooks; independent contractor evaluations; management and training issues; general corporate matters; Medicare certification, state licensure, and accreditation; regulatory compliance, HIPAA privacy and security laws; fraud and abuse laws; joint venture structural analysis; compliance plans; practice start-ups; practice expansion; integrated medicine; regenerative medicine; concierge medicine; MSOs, IPAs and management agreements, and healthcare litigation.
She is the founder and creator of BMD Gateway, a cloud-based proactive risk management solution for employers. BMD Gateway is a customizable attorney-branded, maintained and updated cloud-based online learning and data management system. Developed by industry-leading attorneys to prevent, protect and preemptively avoid disputes through comprehensive training and compliance programs and trainings, policy and document acknowledgment, tracking and reporting quickly eliminating employers from employment litigation when disputes arise.
Ms. Waesch also assisted with the founding of Akros Network, a consulting network with four industry leading firms that specialize in the critical building blocks of successful organizations. Akros gives employers one place to go for answers to high-risk workplace issues including security and safety measures, ethics and fraud reporting, human resources compliance and employment law training, crisis and issues communication and more. This network includes BMD Gateway, Hennes Communications, Red Flag Reporting and SACS Consulting & Security/Investigative Services.
Ms. Waesch serves as a frequent lecturer for a variety of organizations at various events around the country each year focusing on healthcare and hospital law and is available as a featured speaker. She is the preferred legal service provider for Nair Consultants, providing compliance guidance during lab startup and setup services.
Ms. Waesch speaks on how the National Society of Certified Healthcare Business Consultants (NSCHBC) has made a positive impact on her career:
- BMD's Provider Relations, Audits, Appeals and Negotiations Unit (PRAAN) received a favorable Medicare Redetermination Decision (Level 1) overturning a $3.6 million overpayment allegation following a UPIC audit.
- Represented developer and project leaders in development, capital raise, and debt financing of three 100-bed community hospital projects (averaging $50M)
- Represented developer and project leaders in development, capital raise, and debt financing of purchase of 2 community hospitals out of bankruptcy (averaging $20M)
- Represented multiple practice startups (averaging $500k) and capital/debt raises (ranging from $2M to $20M)
- Represented multiple buyers in practice acquisitions (averaging $1M)
Courts & Bar Associations
- Ohio Bar (2008)
- Florida Bar (2009)
- Tennessee Bar (2022)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Rootstown Local School District Board of Education, Student Achievement Liaison
- President (2019-2020)
- Vice President (2018)
- University of Mount Union Alumni Association, Executive Board Member, Alumni Weekend & Awards Committee Chair 2019-2021
- National Society of Certified Healthcare Business Consultants, Education Committee Chair
- American Heart Association Portage-Summit County Board, Go Red for Women 2021 Campaign Chair
- University of Akron College of Business Administration HR Leadership Advisory Board
Professional Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Health Care Law (2022-2024)
- Crain's Cleveland 2022 Notables In Law
- National Society of Certified Healthcare Business Consultants, 2019 Recipient of the Lenny Schwartz Go-Getter Award, 2022 Recipient of the WJ Godfrey “Zeke” Gourley Award (for outstanding support and dedication to the NSCHBC)
- Akron Foundation Fellow
- ATHENA Akron Award, 2019 Akron Women Leaders New to Their Position
- The University of Akron School of Law, Adjunct Professor (2012-2014)
Presentations & Publications
Ms. Waesch has given numerous virtual and in-person presentations on various topics including HIPAA, Compliance, Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute, HHS Provider Relief Funds, CARES Act, Incident-to Billing, and beyond.
Ms. Waesch has presented for the following organizations:
- Administrator Support Community for ENT
- Ambulatory Healthcare Innovations
- American Alliance of Orthopaedic Executives
- American Association of Healthcare Administrative Management
- American Association of Professional Coders
- American Conference Institute
- American Health Law Association
- Apple Growth Partners
- California Orthopaedic Association
- Charlotte County Medical Society
- Client Experience Group
- Florida Association of Medical Staff Services
- Greene County Medical Society
- Hawaii Professional Coders Education Fund
- Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Healthcare Training Leader
- Lake Health Foundation
- Lee Memorial Health System
- Lorman Education Services
- Medina Business Network
- National Alliance of Medical Auditing Specialists
- National Society of Certified Healthcare Business Consultants
- North Carolina Foot and Ankle Society
- Ohio Association of Community Health Centers
- Pharmacy Solutions Alliance
- The Business Side, Inc.
- "The Compliance Guy" Podcast
A full curriculum vitae, which includes a complete list of Ms. Waesch's presentations and publications, is available upon request.
Please click here for dozens of Client Alerts and articles authored or co-authored by Ms. Waesch that can be found on our website.
Additionally, Amanda has authored the following publications for external organizations:
- Information Blocking: Everything Providers Should Know to Ensure Compliance, NAMAS, April 2021
- Amanda Waesch Weighs in on Leasing v. Buying Medical Office Space, Medical Economics, Vol. 95, Issue 12, June 2018
- What New Rules on Overtime Pay Mean to Physician Practices, Medical Economics, July 2016
- Understanding, Implementing, and Achieving Compliance Under the HIPAA Final Rules, Ohio State Chiropractic Association, May 2013
- Strategies to Improve Your Bottom Line: No Show Fees and Credit Card Guaranties, Ohio State Chiropractic Association, November 2012
- The FACTA Is…Are You In Compliance?, Stark County Medical Society, January 2009