Michael A. Steel
Michael enjoys helping clients through difficult financial matters. He relies upon his past business experience to develop creative, strategic and effective solutions for his clients. Michael seeks to be a trusted advisor in his clients' success.
Michael counsels his clients in complex financial matters including bankruptcy, real estate, business transactions and commercial litigation. He regularly advises privately-held companies on work-out arrangements and negotiations with creditors as alternatives to bankruptcy. He has also served as receiver and trustee’s counsel.
His law practice is primarily focused on commercial and business Chapter 11 bankruptcy matters as well as financial reorganization, credit committee representation, and business transactions. Michael is licensed in Ohio and Florida.
The University of Akron School of Law, J.D.
Miami University, B.S. Mass Communications / Media Management
He has also represented businesses and creditors with preference claims, collections, liens, secured collateral, foreclosures and other creditor rights issues.
Michael is recognized by colleagues as a leader in the area of bankruptcy practice. He also works with business owners and individuals on succession and estate planning as well as probate administration. Michael regularly counsels small business owners on various business, financial and legal issues.
Before starting his career as attorney, Michael worked as a disc jockey as well as various jobs in the film/television industry in Los Angeles.
Court & Bar Associations
- Ohio Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District, Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District, Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Florida Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court. Middle District, Florida
Professional Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2011 - 2024, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- 2019 Community Legal Aid Pro Bono Attorney of the Year
- Ohio Super Lawyers, 2012 - 2021 Bankruptcy & Creditors Rights; Bankruptcy Business
- Best Attorneys, 2011 - 2015 Akron Life Magazine, Bankruptcy/Business & Creditors Rights
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Julie Billiart School, School Board Vice Chair and President Elect
- Julie Billiart Schools Network, Board Member
- Akron Community Legal Aid, BMD Pro Bono Committee
- Nazareth Housing Development Corp., Board of Directors, Past President
- HALO Foundation, Past Board Member
- Akron Bar Association
- Past Chairman, Business & Corporations Committee
- Bankruptcy & Commercial Law Committee
- Grievance, Investigative Subcommittees
- Pro Bono Legal Services
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association